Sunday, February 27, 2011

Adoption Faux Pas

Someone recommended this blog post by Single Dad Laughing.  Coincidentally, I have already heard versions of numbers 1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 & 11.  We haven't even completed the paperwork yet.  I'm sure we'll hear the remainder in time.

For what it's worth, I don't get offended easily and I've really only been offended by one comment that I've heard thus far in our journey.  I know it was made out of love by a loving family member, so I just responded the best I could in the moment.

Someone I love very dearly said, "Why don't you just hire a surrogate so the child can really be yours."
I responded with, "We feel that any child who enters our family will really be ours."
"Well, if you hire a surrogate, then the child will have your DNA."
"I understand how surrogacy works.  We don't believe DNA is what makes a family."
"But the child would have your genes! Your DNA!"
"OK, well that is all I have to say about that."

2 comments:

  1. I totally love this post!!! I had to repost it to my Facebook since it is so true what he wrote!!! Thanks for sharing :) J

    ReplyDelete