Saturday, June 18, 2011

Timeline Details

Thursday, June 16, 2011, 10:07 am:   Got a call from Lissa about a match!  She called my cell phone first and when I didn't answer, she called Matt's office.  Matt called my office and I answered the phone because my assistant was away from her desk.  He asked what I was doing and I replied, "Answering the phone because Jennifer is in the bathroom."

He then said, "I have the adoption agency on the line."  He could have led with that.

Lissa explained the situation to us including all of the medical and social forms she has about our e-mom and e-dad.  She said she would e-mail the documents to us and we could review them overnight and get back to her the next day.  She hung up and Matt told me he was taking off work early so we could review the documents at lunch.  In the mean time, I made a few phone calls (and no one answered!), saw a few patients, and told my best friend our exciting news!   I posted one of those vague facebook statuses that typically drive me crazy, but  I couldn't help myself.
 I'm pretty sure I won't be able to wipe the smile from my face for the rest of the day!
Lunch time:  Matt and I went to lunch and thought of a few questions we wanted to ask Lissa.  We called her from the car in the parking lot and she answered all of our questions.  We told her we most definitely want this baby!  She told us that we are more than welcome to sleep on it and call her in the morning.  We assured her that nothing would change overnight and we are matched!

We picked up Lexi from school and toured the infant room at her daycare.  We reserved a spot for our little boy.  It felt very surreal.  When we told Lexi that she was getting a baby brother in about a month, she said, "Cool."  Throughout the evening she started talking about all of the things she is going to teach her baby brother and the toys that she didn't really want to share (marbles and legos which typically aren't great for a baby anyway). ;)

I decided to post another facebook update:
It looks like we will be welcoming a baby boy into our hearts and home some time in July!
I am so overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support we have received.  Our family is so incredibly blessed!

Friday, June 17, early morning:  Matt went to the grocery store to buy food for packed lunches and he was so discombobulated that he forgot half of the things he went there to get.  He was chaperoning a field trip for Lexi's class and I had to work.

Mid-Morning:  I got a call from the social worker with Datz Foundation in Virginia.  If the e-mom is out of state, our agency partners with a local agency to work with the e-mom.  We have to sign an agreement with that agency as well, but all fees are paid by our agency (from the money we pay them).  The social worker e-mailed the document and I printed it off.

 After I got off of work, I perused a new baby store that just opened this week, but I refrained from buying anything (amazingly).

1:00ish:  We met up at our bank and signed our match agreement in front of a notary.  We also set up the wire transfer to the agency.  The bank told us that it may not go out until the next business day.  That's fine as long as it gets there within 48 business hours of our signing the match agreement.  We drove down to the agency and dropped off the match agreement and they scanned and e-mailed our agreement with the Datz Foundation.

We went to Target because I just had to buy a couple things.  I finally caved and bought the Aden & Anais swaddling blankets that I've been eyeing.  Matt scoffed at the price, but I really wanted them.  I also bought a few little boy things that were on clearance.

Today, June 18th:  I started the morning with packing away all of the pink that I had out in the baby closet.  I took inventory of what we have and I tried to decide if I need to buy some newborn sizes.  I discovered that we have no boy bibs at all and I would really like to have a few overnight gowns (I love them for overnight diaper changes).

Tonight:  Matt and I are celebrating our ten-year wedding anniversary (which actually was June 8) and Lexi is going to spend the night at Nana's.  This may be one of the last nights that we have alone in a long time.  We plan to enjoy it.

Monday, June 20, 1:00pm:  We are scheduled to talk to our adoptive parent specialist (Laurie).  Laurie will advise us about how to handle the call with e-mom.  This seems to be a protocol that the agency has.  We have to talk to Laurie before we can talk to e-mom.

Tuesday, June 21, 11:00am:  THE conference call with e-mom! I can't wait for this call.  Lissa told us that e-mom can't wait for us to be involved and I can't wait to get to know her and her hopes and dreams for this baby boy.

After Tuesday, we'll know more about what the future holds.  E-mom has a doctor's appointment on Monday and that should give us a bit more information about the due date.  It has changed a few times (which happens in any pregnancy), but we should expect this little guy sometime in July.


  1. Def keep us updated!!! Now I have another blog to follow ;)

  2. Yay!!!! I'm so excited for you :) Can't wait to meet the little guy :)